[I made these snackable Maca and Almond Butter Energy Bites for Earth Fare!]
I’ve been struggling with hormone imbalance for years. It’s miserable to be off balance, so I’ve really been motivated to find my way back with natural health remedies. (since I’m a big believer in that sort of thing)
I stumbled across maca while researching how to balance hormones naturally. Maca is great for that, but it turns out that it does so much more!
Maca powder comes from a root grown in South America. It’s been used for centuries to balance hormones, increase energy, and improve overall health. (in men and women)
Maca root powder is also:
- High in fiber, calcium, and magnesium
- Known as an adaptogenic (meaning it helps the body maintain balance and adapt to stressors)
- Helpful for mood, memory, immunity, and fertility
(Dr. Axe has a great article with more information on maca if you want to check it out!) Maca powder has a mild taste that’s slightly sweet, and a little bit nutty. (A small amount goes a long way, too, so a bag will last you a while.)
I paired my maca with creamy almond butter and a few other nutrient-dense ingredients to make an easy, healthy snack that would also pack a powerful energy kick.
I debated using dates as the sweetener, but I went with honey instead to avoid even having to pull the food processor out. (the date version is delish too, and if you want to go that route just throw everything in the food processor instead of mixing by hand!)
For these energy bites, you just have to dump everything into one bowl and mix!
I start with a fork, and then use my hands to really get all the ingredients incorporated well.
After that, it’s just a matter of forming the mix into bite size balls! If you can’t be bothered to make the balls (they’re adorable, how could you resist?!) you can always press the mix into a small baking dish and cut them into squares.
Or, you know, just eat the dough straight out of the bowl with your hands.
Hey—this is a judgement free zone. 😉
You can make a batch of these energy bites at the beginning of the week, and then take 2 or 3 with you—to work, school, or wherever you might wander—for a nutritious solution to the inevitable snack attack.
I like to have a few bites on hand at work for those times when I feel a dip in energy and a craving for something sweet and salty. (Hello 10 AM and 3 PM!)
I can really feel the kick of energy that comes from the maca, but unlike caffeine, it doesn’t cause any jitters or anxiousness. In fact, maca can help support a healthy response to stress and anxiety, giving you an increased sense of wellbeing and positivity.
All that in one little bite!
Maca and Almond Butter Energy Bites to the rescue!
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup unsweetened almond butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Using your hands, continue to mix until everything is well incorporated. Taste and add more salt or honey to your preference.
- Take about ½ tablespoon of the mix at a time and squeeze together in your hand, shaping and rolling it into a ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Eat right away, or chill in the refrigerator for a while to firm up.
If you don’t want to make balls, you can press the mixture into a small baking pan, allow to firm up in the fridge, and then cut into squares.
Don't let me do all the talking! Let me know what you think in the comments.