Sometimes salads can leave you wanting something more. This is NOT one of those salads. I’d even say its hearty enough to enjoy on a
chilly freezing North Carolina Spring day (we’re waiting for you, warm weather!) It also results in my husband pushing his empty plate away with a “ooof, eskasa” (English translation: I explode)
Makes about 2 servings
- 1/2 pound ground bison (or ground beef)
- small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- sliced bell peppers (fresh or frozen)
- sliced red onion
- 1 cup black beans (soaked overnight, then cooked until tender)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- oil for cooking: 1.5 tbs rendered pork fat (pastured), coconut oil, or ghee
- spices: 1/2 tbs cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, sea salt/pepper
- optional: hot sauce, sour cream/greek yogurt, shredded cheese, black olives
Heat 1/2 tbs of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Saute bell peppers until soft and put aside. Heat remaining oil and add crushed garlic, ground meat, and spices. Brown meat until cooked through. Add small amount of liquid if needed to pan at this point (water or broth). Pile plates with lettuce, meat, peppers, beans, onions, salsa, and avocado. Serve with optional condiments*. Enjoy!
*if you choose to eat dairy, I really suggest getting the best option your budget allows for. Grassfed and/or Organic are good choices. Needless to say, this statement also applies to your meat source. Healthy animals make healthy humans!
I may have taken this bottom photo before the beans were done cooking 🙂 But it works out because now you can see a Paleo-friendly version as well.
Don't let me do all the talking! Let me know what you think in the comments.