[I made this leftover-loving Fried Quinoa with Chicken for Earth Fare!]
Can we be honest for a minute? I had a really hard time with the title of this post.
Clearly, what I’ve made here (out of leftovers + a bunch of veggies) is meant to resemble Fried Rice. We all know and love that classic take-out comfort food, but Fried Quinoa just doesn’t have the same nostalgic ring to it…
But let’s put the naming difficulties aside. This Fried Quinoa with Chicken is King of Leftover Land.
We make a stir fry like this a couple of nights a week because it’s a great way to repurpose leftovers AND it comes together in no time.
For this go-round, we used broccoli, carrots, and frozen peas, but don’t feel limited to just those veggies. Use whatever vegetables you love/have on hand.
Just be sure to use plenty of them!
Adding lots of veggies is a great way make your meat go further. (and that way, you can really focus on buying good quality meat)
This Fried Quinoa with Chicken was one of the meals I made when I took the challenge to turn one organic chicken into 5 meals. (That’s for 2 people btw–I’m no magician 😎)
Here’s the secret: swapping the rice out for quinoa really bumps up the protein. (quinoa contains 8 grams of complete protein per cup)
We’re also adding 2 eggs, so you can use way less chicken and still end up with a protein-rich meal that keeps everyone happy and satisfied.
Basically, you can’t mess this up. You start by sauteing the veggies and cooked quinoa with some sesame oil, ginger, and tamari.
Then you add in some leftover cooked chicken–you could also use shrimp, or pork, or no meat at all! Whatever makes your heart happy.
Next, you push everything to the side to make a small hole, pour in your eggs, and do a little scrambling action.
It all gets mixed up again into one happy Fried Quinoa family, and the only thing left to do is…
…squeeze on a little lime and DIG IN!
Are you with me on this leftovers love fest?!?
I’m really, really hoping that you say yes 🍽 ❤️
- 2.5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium tamari (or soy sauce, or Coconut Aminos)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- Lime (for serving)
- Heat 2.5 tablespoons of the sesame oil in a wok or other pan over medium high heat. Add the white and light green parts of the scallions to the pan along with the carrots, and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes and add the broccoli, cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tamari, ground ginger, quinoa, chicken, optional chili flakes, and peas and mix to combine. Allow everything to warm through.
- Make a small hole in the middle of the pan and add the remaining ½ tbs of sesame oil and the beaten eggs. Scramble the eggs until they are cooked through, and then mix everything in the pan to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, or additional tamari.
- Top with dark green parts of the scallions and serve with lime wedges.
Don't let me do all the talking! Let me know what you think in the comments.