[I made this creamy Calming Coconut Milk Eggnog for Earth Fare!]
I’ve struggled with anxiety my whole life. Through trial and error, I’ve found some things that help, but I still feel it creep up every now and then. But one thing that’s really helped me cope with my worry-prone mind is finding out that I’m not alone! Lots of other people deal with anxiety. Maybe even you?
We have so much on our plates these days! We try to fit so much into the limited number of hours available, that sometimes the pressure builds up–and that’s when the anxiety can bubble to the surface.
The holiday season is one of the most joyful times of the year, but all of the extra planning, shopping, traveling, and general bustling about can really pile on the stress.
In swoops this Calming Coconut Milk Eggnog, all silky and smooooth. *Anxious thoughts immediately replaced with smooth jazz music*
Now let me set things straight—I’m not suggesting you use alcohol to calm your anxiety. This Coconut Milk Eggnog is booze free! (Although you could definitely splash a little on in if you are someone who enjoys alcohol in healthy moderation.)
No. The secret’s not the alcohol. This eggnog will make your shoulders un-clench and your mind smooth out for a few other reasons:
- Guiltless Nostalgia– I clearly remember the first time I ever tried eggnog. It’s pretty much a milk-loving kid’s dream come true (that was me!). You can bring back those memories–but avoid the sugar overload–by swapping out the processed stuff with wholesome maple syrup.
- Healthy Fats – Our brains are made up of fats and cholesterol (mainly saturated fat). The fat in coconut milk and egg yolks help provide the building blocks for proper brain function and mental health! In fact, egg yolks may be one of the most important foods for brain health, since they provide choline, a nutrient that’s critical for the brain (and is relatively rare in other foods).
- Lemon Balm Extract – This is the real kicker. When people ask me about natural remedies for anxiety, Lemon Balm extract is one of my top 3 recommendations.
The extract has a really mild flavor and doesn’t taste at all like lemon, so don’t worry about it tainting your delicious eggnog.
What it does do, is support the nervous system and promote an overall feeling of calmness. I can notice a difference within just a few minutes of taking it.
Add a dropper full of the extract to your homemade Coconut Milk Eggnog, and just try to remember what it was you had to worry about.
‘Tis the season to relax and be merry!
- 1 can light coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 2 organic egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 dropperful Lemon Balm extract
- Add egg yolks to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until combined. Taste and adjust sweetness to your preference.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to one hour (to chill) and serve. To garnish glasses, run a dampened napkin around the rim and dip in coconut sugar and cinnamon.
Consuming raw egg yolks can increase the risk of salmonella, although quality eggs from healthy hens pose a much lower risk than conventionally raised eggs. If you’re uncomfortable consuming raw eggs yolks, you can leave them out, or cook the yolks in the following method:
Add egg yolks to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add coconut milk, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon to a sauce pan and bring to a low simmer. Pour the hot liquid into the egg yolks slowly, whisking continuously to avoid scrambling the eggs. Once you have tempered the eggs, pour the mix back into the pot and cook over medium-low heat for several minutes, stirring constantly. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Stir in the lemon balm blend before serving.
Don't let me do all the talking! Let me know what you think in the comments.